Monday, July 12, 2010

Free from Sin?

“But now you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.” Rom 6:22


Have you been set free from sin? Paul has declared that the atoning work of Jesus in His death on the Cross has freed us from sin. Powerful words, do you believe them? Early in my recovery from sexual addiction, I read these words and questioned their application to my life. While God’s grace had miraculously delivered me from certain temptations, I certainly was not sinless. Why was I not set free from all sin? God’s Word was not lacking, only my understanding of the process.


Prior to God’s intervention in my life, sin (specifically my addictive behaviors) had dominion over me. It consumed my thoughts, my energy and my actions. It was my god. Paul writes that when I was a slave to sin, I was free from the control of righteousness (Rom 6:20). My mind was corrupted by foolishness and folly. The intrusion of Jesus Christ into my life awakened new desires in me. I yearned for holiness and a greater understanding of God. My mind was now redirected to pursue these things. The body, however, was not free from all temptations. I began setting guards in my life to protect my mind from the weakness of my flesh. New boundaries were established against exposure. The eyes were the first to be protected. Internet, movie and television viewing immediately changed. Even the beach was off limits for a few years until I could honor my wife with my eyes.


If the work on the Cross set me free from sin, then why is the pursuit of holiness still a challenge? While my spirit has now been released, my mind (which controls the body) is in the process of being renewed. New understanding of God’s Word invites new thoughts and habits to be formed. The repetition of old behaviors had literally hard-wired my brain to sinful responses. As my dear friend Harold Olson would say, “Sow a thought, reap a deed, sow a deed, reap a habit, sow a habit and build a character.” By faith, the saving work of Jesus on the Cross creates new thoughts that can now develop into new deeds, new habits and a new character. (2 Pet 1:1-12) The work of Jesus on the Cross is perfect and complete. My understanding and application of its power is still a work in progress (sanctification).


Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Rom 12:1-2)


Put to death anything that corrupts this transformation. Praise God for His faithfulness and companionship in our journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment