Friday, July 16, 2010

Anxious For Nothing?

Be anxious for nothing…(Phil 4:6)


I have heard this scripture quoted so often by Christians just trying to help a person through a tough time. For years I read this Word as a commandment to “not be anxious” about my circumstance. Trust God in all things. It’s not right to be anxious because if I trust God then my anxiety is a sign of my lack of faith, maybe even a “sinful” response to my trial. Hearing many sermons refer to this scripture in a similar vein only reinforced the idea that when I am worried or anxious, I am actually sinning against God in my lack of faith. I even brought this idea into my ministry as a husband, reminding Beth that her battles with worry and anxiety were actually sinful. (Please forgive me for that one, honey !)

Now God is showing me a new perspective on this old idea. The picture of Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane offers me hope in trying to understand God’s Word on anxiety. Luke 22:43 says that an angel appeared before Jesus to strengthen Him. The next verse portrays an incredible image of our Lord Jesus.

“And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground” (vs 44)

Wow! Jesus, who never sinned was stressing out over the cup put before Him by His Father. He was willing, but clearly struggling with the events that were about to unfold for Him. Isn’t this comparable to our worry and stress that we experience in our own life? If worry and anxiety are a sin, then the example of Jesus isn’t perfect here. But I know that He is and always will be perfect. So, maybe the words of Phil 4:6 are not intended to be a hard commandment. Maybe they are words of a glorious invitation? I need to take all my cares to Him in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving. When I make my request known to Him and trust by faith the He will take care of me (in every way), the peace of God will become known to me. When I am faithful to follow this invitation, He has always been faithful to bring me some measure of peace. The greater my faith, the greater my peace. I’m still learning this one

It’s comforting to know that this invitation is not a commandment that was meant to point out my sin. Even Jesus experienced stress.. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment