Monday, October 18, 2010

Yard Sale Anyone?

Sitting on my front porch watching folks attend neighborhood yard sales is always entertaining. They rush into the area desperate to find a parking spot on the local street. They quickly make their way to the site hoping to find that “special deal”. It makes me smile to see them return to their cars with that satisfied look of accomplishment. They are holding a new “treasure”. They are so pleased with the acquisition. Then they are on to the next sale. And it starts all over again. I have only experienced the yard sale from the selling end. I am just as pleased to sell my stuff as those buyers are to make the deal. All this reminds me that one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. It’s all about perspective.


Jesus didn’t show much interest in collecting stuff. He collected people. He still collects people. In fact, He seems to show a particular interest in collecting the treasures that society treats as junk. I’m thinking of the poor, the addicted and the lost. The people who society is often ready to throw away are the people that Jesus deeply loves:

“..Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' 7Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” (Luke 15:6-7)

If the church of Jesus Christ exercised the same energy and passion toward saving the lost that we put toward the Saturday morning yard sale (6am start time..really?), the “junk” of our society would become the treasures of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment