Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Joy in the Trial

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4

Fully understanding this passage has always been a challenge for me. The word joy makes me think of exuberant and energetic happiness. I have never connected the facing of a trial with this definition. I have experienced a feeling of satisfaction when the benefit of a trial was revealed , but this was usually long after the trial was over. I have seen God’s purpose in the trial after the fact, but never experienced joy during the trial. That is until recently.


My recent battle with a nasty staph infection allowed me to experience many new things. There was a point about 4 days into my hospital stay that brought me deeply into the Lord presence. The doctors and nurses offered no answers to my severe pain and 103+ fever. This was my first time in a hospital as an adult and I was getting little help from modern medicine. The Lord spoke gently into my spirit late at night as I cried out to Him. He told me that this was not “unto death, but there was more pain to come.” I cannot describe to you the joy and peace that came over me that night. The chills and pain were still severe, but my Father told me that I was going to live. From that point on, I was at peace because He was still in charge. For the next 5 or 6 days, I opened my eyes and ears to the people around me who might need to hear the gospel or an encouraging word. If this wasn’t going to kill me, then the trial must have a purpose. The remaining days in 2 different hospitals revealed several “God moments” with doctors, nurses and other patients.

I understand now that there is a joy that can only come when faith allows us to rest in the Lord. The trial has changed me in ways that I am still learning. There is a joy, a confidence that only comes when God Himself brings you through a tough time. His grace allowed me to experience the joy of His sovereignty during the trial. I pray that your next trial yields fruit that will build your faith.

          "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."  (Job 8:21)

1 comment:

  1. Amen Robb.... Gail and I are so glad you're on the mend. We are praising God with you.

    ReplyDelete