Thursday, August 5, 2010

How Wet is Water?

“ I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.
   I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.” (Isaiah 46:10)

What God says He will do, He will do! Sometimes as situations in life appear to be moving away from God’s intention, I am tempted to question the sovereignty of God in all things. Several nights ago while laying awake thinking about the day’s events, this question popped into my mind. God, how sovereign are you? It felt like an odd question at the time. I am convinced the Lord put this question on my heart in order to give me an answer that was much deeper than my stewing about the day. Just for reference, my “stewing” about the day usually involves remembering some of the challenging situations I have encountered in counseling and wondering what my next move should be. This time God just went straight to the heart of the matter. He put my concerns in the form of a question that only He could answer. Before I could consider a clever biblical response to the question, God proposed another question that referred to the first one. How sovereign are you God?.....How wet is water? Wow, I really had to think about that one.

Water is completely wet. Every part of water can be described as wet. If fact, when you try to describe water, you can’t avoid using the word wet. The two are inseparable. Water is a lot of things, but in all uses, wet! I think you see the connection God was showing me. He is many things, yet sovereign in all things. The degree of His sovereignty cannot be measured in any situation. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Rom 8:28). I need to remember that God is working for THE good and MY good in all circumstances. He is completely sovereign in the big picture of the world’s turmoil and in the little picture our individual lives. For the people I care about, their struggles are evidence of His working out His will and His pleasure in each of us (Phil 2:13). The struggles we face today are for the same purpose as those faced by ancient Israel, when God said,

 “See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction (Isa 48:10)

God is completely sovereign in all things, for His glory and for our good! God is sovereign like water is wet…I’m good with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment